Maybe discipline seems like a hard word to you—implying nothing but challenge and duty. Yet most of us see the value in cultivating spiritual disciplines, and we long to be more consistent in our relationship with God, even in the midst of our busy lives.
Combining biblical teaching, poignant stories, and insightful reflection questions, Barbara Hughes explores 15 vital disciplines in this classic book—helping us to mature as godly Christian women and giving meaningful shape to our lives.
Table of Contents
1. Disciplines for Godliness
2. Discipline of the Gospel: The Source of Godliness
3. Discipline of Submission: The Posture of Godliness
4. Discipline of Prayer: Submission's Lifeline
5. Discipline of Worship: Submission's Celebration
6. Discipline of Mind: Submission's Education
7. Discipline of Contentment: Submission's Rest
8. Discipline of Propriety: Submission's Behavior
9. Discipline of Perseverance: Submission's Challenge
10. Discipline of the Church: Submission's Framework - God's Family
11. Discipline of Singleness: Submission's Framework - Singleness
12. Discipline of Marriage: Submission's Framework - Marriage
13. Discipline of Nurturing: Submission's Caress
14. Discipline of Good Deeds: Submission's Industry
15. Discipline of Witness: Submission's Commission
16. Discipline of Giving: Submission's Generosity
17. Grace of Discipline
About the Author
Barbara Hughes has supported her husband Kent’s pastoral ministry for over 40 years while also raising four children. She is the author ofDisciplines of a Godly Woman and is a popular teacher of women’s groups. Together with Kent, she has also authored Disciplines of a Godly Family(formerly known as Common-Sense Parenting) and Liberating Ministry from the Success Syndrome. Barbara and Kent live on the West Coast, have an ever-increasing number of grandchildren, and are still actively involved in ministry.
“Barbara Hughes shares both God’s Word and the joy of living it. In her own warm voice, she invites women to believe and to adorn the gospel of Jesus Christ. It’s an invitation not to a list of abstract disciplines, but to the grace of God that trains us in all the layers of real life.” — Kathleen B. Nielson, Director of Women’s Initiatives, The Gospel Coalition
“Disciplines of a Godly Woman is not a legalistic ten-step plan or checklist. Rather it is Titus 2:3–5 in action, as Barbara Hughes becomes our sister, mother and grandmother in the Lord, challenging us to trust and honor God in the whole of life. After a lifetime in pastoral ministry and family life, Barbara knows the challenges we face as sinners living in a world crowded with ideas and pressures. She also knows that God’s Word provides the wisdom we need and the cross of Christ provides the grace we need. At a time when many younger women are seeking mentors, and many older women feel ill-equipped for the task, this book is a wise and loving answer to both.” — Claire Smith, Bible teacher and author, God’s Good Design: What the Bible Really Says about Men and Women